Online Merchandising – What does it mean to your eCommerce store?
According to experts and other blogs, Merchandising is everything you do to promote and sell your products once the potential customer is in your store. A sale starts with giving the visitor a great first impression, which means retailers always trigger a visual experience for every visitor the moment they walk into the store. This brief post is to help you understand that online merchandising has equivalents and you can use these strategies at your online store to improve the visual experience you offer your visitors.
It is the part of the holy grail of traditional retail and includes
- Window and in-store displays
- Grouping related products together
- Shelf signage
- In-store ads featuring the merchandise
- Samples and giveaways
- In-store demonstrations
- Well-stocked shelves
- Spotlighting promotional items
- Shelf Design
Each of these items can be translated into the online world and must be given importance to grab the attention of your visitors.
Remember, it is harder to keep your visitors engaged online and easier to lose them in just the click of a button.
Traditional retail is easier as walking out of the store if a physical effort and the farther you have walked into the store, the more time you need to spend to get out of the store.
- Window and in-store displays = Homepage banners
- Grouping related products together = Product Recommendations
- Shelf signage = UIUX of Listing pages
- In-store ads featuring the merchandise = Sponsored products
- Samples and giveaways = Coupons & Discounts
- In-store demonstrations = Multiple product images or videos
- Well-stocked shelves = Intelligently stocked Listing pages
- Spotlighting promotional items = Labels on Thumbnails (e.g., New, Next day delivery, Discount, etc.,)
- Shelf Design = Listing page layout, Design, Facets & Sort options
What merchandising strategy do you apply at your online store today?
At Tagalys, we only help with a few of these merchandising requirements, especially those Like Search, Listing Pages & Recommendations that analyzes store data to predict what are the best products to be displayed in those channels.