Unlearn & Learn: Why do visitors bounce-off eCommerce sites?
You built a nice eCommerce website and are all set to start selling online. You wait and wait, but orders aren’t coming through! Or you have been in the field for a while now but are unable to get enough sales through your website. Why? Because potential buyers are BOUNCING OFF eCommerce sites!
The average bounce rate for eCommerce stores in 2020 is 40-45%. What is the bounce rate of your online store? Don’t know. Get Tagalys‘ intelligent solutions and make data-driven decisions to reduce the eCommerce bounce rate.
A good bounce rate for eCommerce sites is between 26-40%. Anything above 70% is really bad and needs a lot of work. If you have a high bounce rate on your store and have pulled your hair out trying to understand why and improve it, read on.
What is Bounce Rate?
The bounce rate is a web analytics metric that determines how many people visited eCommerce sites and then left it without interaction. For example, a user landed on your website via Google but only visited the landing page.
It is a useful online marketing insight for eCommerce stores that indicates whether your conversion funnel is moving ahead after a user lands on the site. It is not possible to eliminate it completely but you can reduce the bounce rate by incorporating our suggestions. Here are some must-read tricks to reduce the bounce rate.
Why do you have a high Bounce Rate & how to decrease it?
A high bounce rate in eCommerce is because you are not using the best practices for merchandising. Improper merchandising does not help to reduce the eCommerce bounce rate. Here’s what you need to stop doing:
Unlearn: Ineffective SEO, Bad Design & Improper Merchandising
- A slow website loading speed for eCommerce sites. Potential buyers don’t have patience and will bounce off.
- Ineffective SEO on your webpages, where you haven’t used any keywords.
- Targetting the wrong locations, age group, etc. in your marketing campaigns.
- Misleading titles or meta descriptions that promise something and deliver something else. For example, if you promise a 70% discount but offer only 20% on the landing page. Pages with dynamic SEO variables can eliminate this mistake
- Bad or irrelevant linking on other websites for organic traffic that leads the wrong audience to your website. For example, if your SEO targets shoppers looking for baby products but your website sells shoes, then it is of no use.
- Lack of mobile-friendly pages on your website (at least 50% of the online traffic is from a mobile)
- A messy layout that makes it difficult to find anything and looks cramped.
- UI glitches or blank pages on your website.
- A visually unappealing home page or product page UX design.
- The search results or product listing pages do not show relevant products.
- Not displaying ‘Trending’ products.
- Absence of Product Recommendations which keep the visitors engaged.
How to reduce the eCommerce site’s Bounce Rate?
Learn: What you need to start doing & How to reduce Bounce Rate?
- Ensure your website speed is optimal and photos load quickly.
- Improve the readability of the content on your website.
- Invest in good UX design and copywriting.
- Target the right keywords in your product descriptions, titles, etc.
- Avoid annoying ads and too many popups on your website that makes people bounce. Keep them to the minimum or place them strategically.
- Always have a CTA wherever you can, through your website.
- Create more than one landing page for your campaigns.
- Make your website mobile-friendly.
- Work on better visual appeal through visual merchandising.
- Leverage the site search feature to help people land on the right pages. Tagalys‘ smart search feature can help.
- Keep your product listings dynamic and automated so they get updated with the latest trends.
- Employ a good eCommerce merchandising strategy. For example, you can display trending products on top. Refer to the other blogs by Tagalys to learn more about this.
- Showcase product diversity by using Tagalys‘ intelligent merchandising solutions.
- Work on your collections/categories, narrow them down as much as possible. Ensure the first few pages showcase different types of products including the bestsellers.
- Offer product recommendations to your potential buyers. You can also use an upselling and cross-selling eCommerce strategy
Start Merchandising with Tagalys today
Now that you know how to lower the bounce rate, take the next steps. At Tagalys, we want to offer you smart and dynamic merchandising solutions to improve your eCommerce revenue. It is your answer to, “How to improve bounce rate?” Our solutions powered by human + machine intelligence are helping leading retail brands across the world.
Schedule a demo today to learn more about our Site Search, Categories / Collections, and Product Recommendations today.
Level up! Contact us now!