Posted on February 26, 2018 by
Shopping cart abandonment is a recurring challenge at every online store. Data suggests this varies between 60% to 95%, depending on the country, device, category, and brand. The good thing about realizing this challenge in your business is that you are not alone, it happens at every retailer including the greats of Amazon. If you are not sure whether you face this challenge, look at the total number of unique products added to cart and the final number of products sold. If you have a delta, you are facing the same challenge as everyone else.
So why do visitors add products to their cart and not become customers? There are many reasons, such as
- Simply forgot
- Got busy
- Distracted by a mobile notification from another app
- Waiting for a discount
Statista has done surveys to break this down quantitatively to give you some more insights
So, we now know this is a worldwide, industry-wide phenomenon. What can you do to fix it? There are a couple of simple things you can do right away to reduce this by a few percentage points – install a notification service, that will send an “add to cart” reminder email or notification. These notification services will reduce the abandonment rates and companies offering these services will be the experts to tell you by how much.
The question to you as a retailer is
- Do you know what your overall shopping cart abandonment rate is?
- Which funnel contributes the most to shopping cart abandonment rate – Search, Browse, Product listing pages, Recommendations?
- Which source of traffic is the biggest influencer in shopping cart abandonment rate – Facebook, Organic, Google Adwords, email etc.,?
- Does device type (Mobile or desktop) influence shopping cart abandonment rate?
- Are there visitors from a specific location that influence shopping cart abandonment rate?
Finding answers to these questions can help tweak your marketing campaigns to continue improving who you target via marketing channels. While Tagalys can assist you to gather insights into these questions, we do not provide any email or notification service that can alleviate the cart abandonment rates. We do know a couple of really awesome products companies out there that do this for a living. We would be happy to recommend a few names if it can help you. Contact us (email@example.com) and we will make the connection based on your needs.